Tossing shots to he right

This is what we do.
ChuckD
A Poster
A Poster

Tossing shots to he right

Post by ChuckD »

Just got the chance to shoot the scoped CZ this weekend. Throwing a lot of shots to the right at 40 yards. (RH shooter)
Any thoughts on position to start? Could be a bit of heavy handed trigger work on my end, and I did establish good NPA prior to shooting.
Thoughts?

thanks
chuck
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Re: Tossing shots to he right

Post by Jerry G »

Could be you didn't have your natural point of aim. If you twist into position, you will un-twist as you relax after the shot. Also could be bad follow through, if you try to jerk the shot into the animal as you pass through. Natural point of aim is very important.
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

What Jerry G said as far as execution of the shot. The other possibility is the rifle is too short in length of pull if you are a right-handed shooter. For right-handed shooters if the stock is too long, shots are thrown to the left; if the stock is too short shots are thrown to the right. We found that the typical means of measuring proper stock pull does not work for us. We have to shoot and adjust stock pull length accordingly. The funny thing is a stock that feels perfect shooting at home makes me throw shots to the right anywhere else.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

atomicbrh wrote: The other possibility is the rifle is too short in length of pull if you are a right-handed shooter. For right-handed shooters if the stock is too long, shots are thrown to the left; if the stock is too short shots are thrown to the right. The funny thing is a stock that feels perfect shooting at home makes me throw shots to the right anywhere else.
Now Bobby: why do you throw your shots to the right at other ranges?

Could you explain more clearly why the lenght of the stock determines where the shot goes?
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by atomicbrh »

To answer Ken's question, I will quote Neil Stepp and B. Finley. Referring to a right-handed shooter, Neil says that if the stock is too short, the human automatically pulls the shot to the right as the trigger is squeezed. Opposite that if the stock is too long; the human pushes the shot to the left. Just the opposite for left-handed shooters. I think this probably comes from Neil fitting kids for 10 meter rifles over many decades and seeing where their groups were thrown until they got the length of pull corrected.

I asked Bruce why my rifle fits at home and does not throw shots either right or left at home but threw shots right at matches at other ranges. Bruce said that even though you do not think there is any stress at a match, the human pulls the rifle tighter into the shoulder and breaks the trigger harder while on the clock around other competitors just due to adrenaline. Thus, the stock "acts" shorter for me at other ranges.
ppkny
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by ppkny »

Sounds more like a follow thru problem. If after I pull the trigger and the shot goes off I still see the animal in my crosshairs I've done everything right.
ppkny
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

If you were a beginner I would say too much meat on the trigger. Try dry firing and see if your trigger pull moves the rifle right.
As everyone else said NPA is another culprit. But you said you had that correct so trigger pull is the next obvious choice.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
dscak1
A Poster
A Poster

Post by dscak1 »

Had/have a similar problem and had difficult time figuring out the issue. Finally, with someone watching, determined that if I held the rifle for a little long, I began tilting it clockwise as I tried to get it to settle on the animal. The longer I held, the more I tilted the rifle and the more I threw the shot to the right. At rams I was (and still am if I'm not careful) on occasion 4-6 inches right of the point where I thought the shot broke. When I hold the rifle level the problem no longer exists.
Ken Green
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Ken Green »

I was thinking about setting up a couple of video cameras a different angles to record a shooting session. You know the camera is going to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I would like to suggest using a slow motion camera so you get a good view of your reaction when you pull the trigger. I know I have a bad habit of jerking the trigger as I pass through the animal. I try to pull the shot back on target and it never works.