Shooting two guns

This is what we do.
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Shooting two guns

Post by Emietenkorte »

Hello everyone! I was wondering how beneficial is it to shoot two guns in SB silhouette? If you are shooting a hunter rifle well in both classes does it matter? Is it something that someone needs to try to find out for themselves?

Is it more beneficial to shoot two guns for HP silhouette? Does it make a bigger difference than SB?

Sorry about all the questions... Currently I am shooting a Sako Finnfire for hunter and an Anschutz 54MS for standard. I'm shooting similar scores on both rifles and am just wondering if I should stop lugging around two rifles stick with my Finnfire, sell my SB Standard gun and invest that money into a standard HP gun where it might make a bigger difference. Any information and opinions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Re: Shooting two guns

Post by DavidABQ »

Jerry should be around to weigh in on it.

Personally I find it much easier on my wallet to shoot one rifle in both classes.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I guess that would depend on if you are flying on a commercial flight or not or shooting both the same day. Look in your book and see the different sores required for the hunter vs heavy classes. If you shoot one in the morning and one in the afternoon, I believe it makes a difference. If you are shooting one on the first relay and the other on the second relay, you are better off shooting the hunter for both classes. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Trigger control is much easier on 3 oz than it is on 2 lbs.
frankmako
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by frankmako »

this is what happen to me. i was shooting my anschutz 64 silhouette in the morning match and for the afternoon hunter rifle match i used a cz 455. took me all most a bank of animals to get in tune with the cz 2.5 pound trigger and smaller stock. my 64 silhouette has a two stage/ 2 oz trigger along with the big fat silhouette stock. same scope for both rifles, a old el paso weaver t-16. so about midway in the season last year i stopped shooting the anshutz. it is the cz for both matches.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I was correct Jerry showed up like I predicted.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Dave, you are sooooooooo smart. :-h
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Jerry G wrote:Dave, you are sooooooooo smart. :-h
Thank you Jerry for recognizing that.
:D
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

Thanks for the responses, I think I have decided to just shoot one gun. I shot a 111/120 in both hunter and standard using my Finnfire hunter rifle at the Washington State match this last August. I started shooting two guns after that match and have been shooting them both about the same. So now I guess I should figure out what a fair price for my very clean Anschutz 54MS is. Thanks again!
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

I would normally advise an individual to shoot only a single rifle instead of buying a second but you already spent the money on a second rifle so why not shoot one in each class?
Emietenkorte
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Emietenkorte »

The main reason is that my scores are similar with either gun so do I need to lug around 2 guns to each match? Am I wrong in thinking that? I guess I started shooting two guns because I needed to see if it did make a difference, so far it hasn't.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

From what I've noticed many of the winning shooters use a single gun. I hear its a trigger thing. If your scores are the same then I'd just shoot one. Personally I just shoot one rifle for both.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

Old Man Ranger,

I suspect you are correct but I also suspect you could put any rifle in the hands of Cathy Winstead and she would still probably win.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Not just Cathy, but some of the other master shooters I have seen here. Most of our matches (and nationals) require you to shoot both rifles in the same day. I think its easier if there isn't a big change in triggers/rifles during a day. I think under the older rules there was a big enough difference in the silhouette rifle vs hunter that it paid to use 2. Maybe we could get Greg to add that as an equipment survey question this year at nationals?
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

You may be correct Old Man Ranger. I do have to say that I like the single rifle for two classes idea. It is much easier on my wallet to only have to buy a single Anschtuz instead of two.
thauglor
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by thauglor »

If you had similar rifles, you could set the standard trigger to the same weight as your hunter, then it wouldn't be so different when you switched. The local guy that wins all the matches here has all his rifles set at 2 lbs, all of his rimfire and highpower rifles.