Premier Reticle Scope Question

This is what we do.
2many7s
B Poster
B Poster

Premier Reticle Scope Question

Post by 2many7s »

I have a scope I would like to get a value on, it's a Leupold 6.5 to 20 VX-III EFR modified by Premier Reticle to 18x - 40x with the silhouette dot. I know these are rare and I love it but I may need to sell a few things so I was wondering what it is worth. It is in the condition you would expect from a scope kept in a safe for years. It was used at Winnsboro for about 4 years and has set in darkness most of the time since.

Thanks
atomicbrh
Master Poster
Master Poster

Re: Premier Reticle Scope Question

Post by atomicbrh »

If I was in the market for one of these used scopes it would be important to know if it was a first focal plane or second focal plane scope. The first focal plane scope increases reticle/dot size as the magnification is increased. Second focal plane keeps the dot/reticle size the same no matter what the magnification is. Just a personal preference but I would want second focal plane for silhouette.
ShootingStar
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by ShootingStar »

2many7s,

Prices on these scopes have varied over the last year or two. Some folks wanting to "unload" because of possible problems that won't be fixed under warranty by Leupold. Others have said these are "collector" because they are not being made any longer. So between those 2 extremes and condition of the scope itself prices vary quite a bit. Also the size of the dot will be important when selling. the 3/8 to 1/2 inch dot are the most popular, but larger than that has it's devotees as well!!!

I would say - reasonable prices for both seller and buyer are somewhere between $500 - $600. I know that's quite a range but should cover everything from "need for speed" on the sellers side to "hey, that's a pretty good (but not great) price" from the buyers side.

That's just my opinion - others will have theirs. I'd certainly be interested myself in that range - interest increases as the price decreases!!!

ShootingStar
Greg
Varn
A Poster
A Poster

Post by Varn »

I was going to reply but I can say that Shooting Star is right on the money. Well done Greg! And the point about first focal plane is valid. I personally prefer first focal plane. Mark Varner
xpilot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by xpilot »

I have three ,one a 30mm. I have been very happy with them. As far as pricing; I think the $600. range is good for the 1", maybe another $150. for the 30mm.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Was the VX-III ever made with 2 different focal planes prior to 2000? I don't think they were. It was a one size fits all. Big problem with that scope is if you send it back to Leupold for repairs they will take the bump out of it and then you have a 6.5x20 again. The Dick Thomas bump was a real good one. Too bad the kid lost the deal with Leupold.
shooterxtc
B Poster
B Poster

Post by shooterxtc »

I see everyone likes this modified version of the Leupold scope does anyone know why Leupold is not offering a comparable version? Has anybody address this with Leupold?
rogersptl
A Poster
A Poster

Post by rogersptl »

My disappointment is that Leupold doesnt offer the larger dot instead of having to return and have the larger dot installed. The 1/8th seems to be 'standard' but generally too small for us silly shooters. Did I missed some catalog numbers??
Close only counts with grenades and horseshoes.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Leupold still sells the bigger dots as a standard thing. At least in their fx3 25x40mm scopes.

It looks like you can order them custom from leupold with the large leupold dot for an extra $50 without haveing to send it back.
https://customshop.leupold.com/configur ... &aw=5&ae=5
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.