Is silhouette dying?

This is what we do.
DennisC
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Is silhouette dying?

Post by DennisC »

Couldn't stand it any longer.....I love this game, from the first time i read an article about it in a Sierra load manual authored by Ray Schnarre, I was hooked !! Thousands of dollars, countless hours of training and study, unfathomable amount of input from some of the best HP shooters on the planet, and I'm still at it. HP is my addiction and from the beginning the sight of that target coming off the stand at those distances just gave me a thrill, ironically, as the years passed and the scores increased, I now see a lot less fall even though I'm hitting more. But I've said all that to say that our enthusiasm for our sport, our sportsmanship, are probably our greatest advertizement. It's a humbling experience to an "experienced" rifleman/hunter to find out what they're really capable of at 400yds or so.

Land availability, social/economical/political climates all have conspired to reduce interest in shooting sports in general with the exceptions of tactical and retro stuff.
Not to mention anything that mandates a serious training schedule to do well at is not going to be well received in many of our modern mindsets.

My suggestions for a 'new' silhouette game would be a return to Nogales; chickens, goats and javelina staked out in the pasture, lots of tequila, money in the hat before each relay....and a barbeque to follow... :wink:
Bob Mc Alice
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by Bob Mc Alice »

Great post, Dennis C. VIVA MEXICO :ymparty:
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

VIVA TEQUILLA!
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

I don't know, Nogales is a little shaky these days. Maybe if we brought enough rifles and ammo there, the smugglers might leave for greener pastures. It is one spooky town right now. The idea of tequilla and b-b-q sounds great. Somewhere along the way we have lost most of our colorfull people that were in this sport and I think we need to get some of the interested again. Silhouette is not dying. :-bd
Sosalty
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Sosalty »

Haven't seen range work days discussed much? If I show up for a range work day, I expect to make a contribution and forge a bit of bond with other shooters who care about the sport. Imagine showing up for a work day posted on an internet range calendar. Here's 2 different work days attended at 2 different ranges back in 2013. To me, seeking out a new range is alot like selecting a new church. Sunday morning services aren't what make an impression on me. It's the evening service where folks open up.

1) No one to greet the volunteers, a place to check in, or anyway to get directed. Some folks seemed to know what needed doing but discussed amongst themselves. Individual volunteers asked what could be done and were given short tasks, that no one noticed once completed. Not clear who was in charge. Seemed some had projects they wanted to do and newbies asking what needed to be done was distracting them from getting their pet project getting completed. Everyone needed to bring their own lunch though that wasn't mentioned anywhere. After an hour, the newbies chatted with each other a while and then drifted on back home. The next day at the monthly match, anyone could formulate a mental list of easy to do, (ie; easy to prep for someone else to do) improvements left undone :(

2) An improvements/maintanence list was kept by an involved club member. Projects ideas and needed maintanence were solicitated at the shooters meeting the match before work day. There was a set time; 9 to 9:15am that projects were laid out and volunteers formed into groups. A checklist was set out with a facillator who knew who needed help and could direct late comers. Match Director unloaded stuff from his truck needed for projects. Groups finishing their projects checked in and were redirected to other tasks requiring more time. The list was modified during the workday. As the day progressed, everyone was kept informed as to what had been completed. (Probalby the most rewarding aspect.) Ease of getting liquid refreshment and a light meal was group sceduled (vs individuals knocking time off on their own, and being more social) The next match there was a sense of accomplishment, a sense that the club was moving forward. Shooters talked about what was done on work day and talked about what might be done in the future :D

If a member offers their time/labor and no one cares much, it's a big turn off. Workdays can significantly enhance the well being of a shooting club. Seems this might be a worthy discussion thread. Dunno
teetertotter
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by teetertotter »

GregG wrote: Sorry the best we can do is advertise silhouette exists, be friendly, be nice, and try to prompt the shooting sports Greg
We have 900 members at our club and 7 active NRA SB Silhouette shooters. In 2013 we had 3 new people and did not return this year. We have NRA approved matches every Thursday EVE and once a month Saturday Tournament. We write a qtrly article in the club news letter....bla..bla. We continue advertise to bring any .22 ...bla..bla. When newbies come to check us out on a Thursday eve and see our .22's with these long scopes, they right away see $$$$ signs...long story short. We try to down play it. Some do come several times to shoot with us and then don't see them again. We had 4 new shooters last year that came on a regular basis. We have not seen them this year. Ammo Shortage? To hard a sport?

We shoot winter indoor from Jan through April and invite all club members.....bla...bla and we have about 4 people on average show up, which is part of our original 7. O, we do get a couple others that are curious and come and try shooting paper with us, which doesn't last.

A Silhouette club near Milwaukee, used to shoot NRA matches up until 4 years ago. They have 20+ members that shoot every Monday eve, for FUN. We used to have 4 people from there come and shoot in the State Championship.

MN and IA do not have SB Silhouette. An IL. club in the north part of the state, 45 minute drive to our range, no longer has NRA Matches and shoot for fun. There are two people from there that attend our Saturday Matches and our State Championship.

That is how it is in our part of the country. Our club is keeping SB NRA Silhouette alive in our parts. SB Silhouette is dying having NRA sanctioned matches, with some clubs shooting for fun only.
LH CZ 452 Amer, Free Floated, FX-3 25X40, D3 Rings, TAC-22
https://www.beloitrifleclub.org/shootin ... ilhouette/
Szumi
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Szumi »

I sure hope not. Last year I just got started in small bore hunter class and I'm working on a hunter class rifle for highpower. I have to drive 2+ hours to get to a match, I'm having a lot of fun. I'd like to keep doing this. This is real shooting!
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

Silhouette is alive and well around here, new faces nearly every month.
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
siloet56
B Poster
B Poster

Post by siloet56 »

I shot with Ray Schnarre in the 80s and 90sn. He loves his 40x.
I hope he's still shooting
Bigfoot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Bigfoot »

Just saw this at the top of the small bore subset.

It's only been 2 weeks but I'm still buzzing over the Iron Man 2 weeks ago. Completely filled for small bore and high power. Sold out. I know that 2 people had to leave sat morning due to reasons unknown but damn. That was nice...Conard was pretty packed as well. Between guys like Mike and Steve putting together matches that get folks coming from all over I think we're doing dandy.

**== :ymcowboy: **==

For that matter. Our club matches in Tacoma have been seeing a real nice influx of newbies who are going all in and buying the big gear to get down and dirty. Problem is some of em (ahem, Erich) are kicking our asses! Nice to have more in the fold though!
Res ipsa loquitur
tenx9
B Poster
B Poster

Post by tenx9 »

Sorry to say, but all the good intentions is well. short lived. Competition shooting by its very nature is hard. It takes years of dedication and stick to itness. Few people (esp young people) rarely have the time to devote to it. Sure, they come down, have fun, then move on when they realize how difficult it is. They realize that it takes expensive equipment to truly participate. Sure you can use just about anything, but does that give you a good chance to succeed? Answer is NO. Beginning shooters quickly realize that. When they neither have the time or the money, they either move on or go with something that requires less commitment. Changing rules rarely works. Besides the same people usually win no matter what rules or equipment you enforce. Shooting is cyclic anyway. Whats hot becomes old real fast. I've been doing this for a lot longer than I care to mention. And, through experience this is usually the case. Of course, winning or placing in your category solves all of the above problems. 90% of the winning gets done by 10% of shooters. Probably less in retrospect.
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

I can't believe this thread has been resurrected again!!!!!
If you live in the front range area of Colorado and want to try 22 silhouette please contact the match director at Ben Lomond gun club or for highpower the Colorado rifle club in Byers, both of those clubs need more shooters.
AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

kevinbear wrote:I can't believe this thread has been resurrected again!!!!!
If you live in the front range area of Colorado and want to try 22 silhouette please contact the match director at Ben Lomond gun club or for highpower the Colorado rifle club in Byers, both of those clubs need more shooters.
It is too good of a topic where individuals can bash the actions or inaction of the NRA, a.k.a. The Evil Empire.
Last edited by DavidABQ on Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
psteiger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by psteiger »

Plus it raises GregG's blood pressure about 50 points and each post elicits a 30 minute phone tirade......not that we've been shooting much around here. It's been so wet, the ranges are flooded most of the time. More time for him to boil over. I think it's his fault we've had so much rain.....it's killing silhouette around here. =)) =))
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

psteiger wrote:Plus it raises GregG's blood pressure about 50 points and each post elicits a 30 minute phone tirade......

Oh, that is also a very good reason!

:D