Leupold FX-3 25x scope & Leupold Alumina 50 ft focus adaptor

This is what we do.
jaja
B Poster
B Poster

Leupold FX-3 25x scope & Leupold Alumina 50 ft focus adaptor

Post by jaja »

I'm planning on buying a Leupold FX-3 25x 40mm scope just for silhouette competition. I've been shooting 18x for about 6 months now and I feel I am ready to use a straight 25x scope. I would like to start using this 25x scope right after Christmas for some indoor shooting. However, before I put the money out for this scope I need to know if the Leupold alumina 50 ft focus adaptor really gives a good clear picture at 50 feet with the FX-3 25x scope? Also will the FX-3 25x scope focus all the way down to 40 meters. Some of the reviews I've read indicated that the FX-3 25x scope would not focus at 40 meters. Since I've been getting mixed reviews I thought I would ask the people who really shoot silhouette for their insights and experiences with the FX-3 25x scope. I'd really hate to spend around $700 for these two items only to find out that they don't work. Thanks in advance for your responses.
Oklahoma Jim
B Poster
B Poster

Re: Leupold FX-3 25x scope & Leupold Alumina 50 ft focus ada

Post by Oklahoma Jim »

Mine focuses just fine down to 40 meters for the chickens. I haven't tried the 50ft adaptor.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

I have that scope and adapter and it works fine. I dry fire at 50 feet in my house and it is as clear as it is outdoors at 40 meters. Which is to say perfect.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
topclass
A Poster
A Poster

Post by topclass »

I have the 25x scope and with the adapter I have no problem focusing at 50', and without it, no problem at 40 meters.
BCloninger
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by BCloninger »

Some of the early FX III 25x40 sopes were unable to focus at 40 yards/meters, but Leupold fixed that once they understood the issue. Chicken George was instrumental in getting that one fixed. I tried to use an FX III with the Alumina adapter for air rifle, and found that while it would focus down to chickens (and even lower!), it couldn't quite focus on Turkeys or Rams.
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream."
- C.S. Lewis
boats
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by boats »

I had a Leupold that was supposed to focus at 50 feet, would not. Returned it Leupold fixed no charge and back to me in a week.

Boats
jaja
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jaja »

Thanks for your input. I guess I'll go ahead and get those two items.
OldRanger
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by OldRanger »

Its an awesome scope, you won't regret it.
I buy all my guns from t-rex. He's a small arms dealer.
Bigfoot
AA Poster
AA Poster

Post by Bigfoot »

One tip to save a little frustration. When ordering the 50 foot adapter specify that it's for a 25x40 as there are 2 different types of threads for this adapter and you don't want to get the wrong one and need to send it back etc. Good shootin'! :ymcowboy:
Res ipsa loquitur
jaja
B Poster
B Poster

Post by jaja »

Thanks for the tip but I thought the threading was changed for all of Leupold's scopes and adaptors that were made post 2004. I'm a little confused now. Is the change in threading based on the year that the scopes and adaptors were made or is it based on the model of the scope?
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

They make a 50' adaptor for the older (BR/M8) scopes and the newer FX. It'll be listed on the adaptor packaging. Threads are different between the 2 scopoes.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?