New Shooter Question

This is what we do.
TomJ
B Poster
B Poster

New Shooter Question

Post by TomJ »

Hi - I'm putting together a small bore silhoutte rig and would appreciate your comments. I'm looking at purchasing an Anschutz 1712 and have a Bushnell 4200 Elite 6-24x 40mm scope that is mounted on another gun at the present time. I know the Anschutz is a keeper and safe bet, what is your opinion of the 4200 Elite? Is the Bushnell a good starting point, maybe not the final scope? Thanks in advance, Tom
joemo
B Poster
B Poster

Re: New Shooter Question

Post by joemo »

There have been many favorable comments about this scope in the past and since you already have it go ahead and try it. The reticle may not be ideal but if your just getting started you can get used to just about anything. The variable power will allow you to experiment with different power levels, but I'm willing to bet that if you practice much at all you will be using 24 power all of the time. Go out and have fun. Your lucky to start with a very good setup. The only problem is you won't be able to blame the equipment too much.
Jason
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jason »

The Elite 4200 6-24X scope is pretty heavy, so if the Anschutz 1712 is in a wood stock you might not make it in under the weight limit for hunter class. Since you already have the scope, though, there's no point in not waiting and checking it when you get the rifle and scope mounts.
Dee
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by Dee »

I'm a big fan for 4200's they ride on all 5 of my rifles except HP due to weight. I have a Leupold FX3 30x on it and all the others are 8-32x 4200's. I've looked through a lot of scopes and for the money the 4200 is IMO the best glass for the best money and the repeatability of the turrets is rock solid. Some people don't like the 1/8" clicks but I have never had it affect me. As Jason said with a wood stock 1712 you might be close on weight mine is a composite stock and I still had almost a pound of weight I could add even with the 4200 on it.

Great setup and you should be fine. If you are close on weight maybe you can get lighter rings to get under.

Dee
Trespassers will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again!
cedestech
Distinguished Master Poster w/Palms

Post by cedestech »

Don't fret on the weight if you are just starting out and shooting club matches. No one will care if you are a few ounces over.
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
TomJ
B Poster
B Poster

Post by TomJ »

Gentlemen - I have a few more questions. I have a somewhat long neck, my trap gun has a lot of cast-off and toe out. What manufacture rings would you recommend for my setup? Is mounyting the scope as simple as putting the rings on the rails and tightening it up or is there more to it? If so, any information about setting up the scope from the very beginning would be appreciated.

Also, how important are the torque settings on the bedding screws? If important, what torque wrench do you recommend? Thanks, Tom
malinois
Master Poster
Master Poster

Post by malinois »

Mounting rings is that simple screw them on....But..make sure you get a set that will make weight..that has the proper height for your hold..that you mount your scope level...or if you prefer with the amount of cant that suits you...that the eye relief is set right.. trial and error fit with your vest on.. as for torque settings it will vary with ammo type... sometimes a little sometimes a lot.... again testing will determin this. I test all my ammo for accuracy at 100 meters a bit far some would say but everyting shoots bug holes at 40 meters... I get a better feel for what the ammo is doing at 100 meters then I fine tune the torque settings...
Jerry G
Uber Master Poster
Uber Master Poster

Post by Jerry G »

Hold the rifle a little higher on your sholder............ That will also give you better cheek contact with the stock.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Ring height is very personal and has to do with the amount of cheek weld you use. Limited per the rules by comb height and scope height. It's one of those things you experiment with up and including the limit.

Jerry is right about bringing the rifle up to you. Don't curl your head down to it. ;)
Emmett Dibble, Houston, Texas. Where's my buddy Jason? Keeper of electronic records and banisher of little pieces of paper?
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

None bedded stocks are more sensitive then pillared and bedded to torque. Malinoise is correct that experimentation is the only way to tell. Any inch pound or nm screw driver will be fine. I believe there is one they sell at most gun shops called a fat wrench that should work great. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/718023 ... crewdriver
kevinbear
AAA Poster
AAA Poster

Post by kevinbear »

Anschutz's have an 11mm rail which limits what rings you can use, I prefer standard Weaver rings, they make a 2 piece base for 1712's #96? but better yet D.I.P. makes a one piece with lots of slots for a solid stress free mount. I use lightweight aluminum Leupold rifleman rings {high} on top of the DIP base. The entire set-up comes in at less than 70.00. Lightweight yet significantly more substantial than other mounting systems.
http://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.asp ... 0&CAT=3658

My 1712 and most of the people around here torque there action screws to 24 inch pounds, I've heard of folks going much higher than that but for us it seems to work. Whatever you go with use blue Lok-tite to keep it from loosening.

AAA Shooter politically incorrect and loving it
TomJ
B Poster
B Poster

Post by TomJ »

Are there any best places, e.g., price, seervice, etc. to purchase an Anschutz 1712? Tom
Hattrix
B Poster
B Poster

Post by Hattrix »

Talk to Cathy at Goodshootinginc. in Joplin MO.
She did me right on a 1710. Quick and very user friendly.
cedestech

Post by cedestech »

Hattrix wrote:Talk to Cathy at Goodshootinginc. in Joplin MO.
She did me right on a 1710. Quick and very user friendly.
/\/\/\/\ That.... /\/\/\/\
DavidABQ
Expert Master Poster
Expert Master Poster

Post by DavidABQ »

kevinbear wrote: Image

Yes, that bolt knob is as large as it looks. The thing is HUGE!
That happens to the the first and only 1712 I have ever held or shot.

Thanks Kevin for making me run around my house looking for stuff to sell so I can buy a 1712.

I felt like a crack whore trying to get their next fix.

You are a very bad man Kevin. :-bd